Friday, July 29, 2005

looking through the boxes in the basement: who were you, then?

some music listening is happening now, plugged into my ears with a white cord going down into my snapped-shut back pocket, and i wonder if you crept up on me from behind would you think for just a second i was listening to my butt? i'm not. what would it even have to say? "hi boss. thanks for the premium top-shelf top-dollar underwear all the time."

but the music listening is happening, and it is incredible, let me tell you, here at the end of the question: will you find me? and the best part is even coming up, i bet. something tells me that is going to be the truth.

and while it's happening, i get to sit with my back to the entire law library, did you know? because this big table with the computer then the huge scanner to the left then the huger Microform Machine 1 to the left of that--and i always have to sit on this chair and lift the lever underneath the seat and spin around clockwise one and a half times in order to make the chair go down and not be so high for an average-sized cat like myself--is right smack up against the back wall of this icebox of a place. to-day i am looking at reel seven (7) and correcting mistakes others have made before me. "things they may have missed," if you will. i have been told i am inspiring a sense of "security," now that this is "in my hands." like bjork, i think: it's in our hands! it always was! now THAT is a song song song, the kind you wish there were more verses to, i'll tell you what.

this phone here! it rings rings rings! and we are back to it ringing and being so very rarely answered, and so soon! maybe the only one surprised about that is me.

there is a new video game that waits to be played and started and taken out of the plastic for the very first time, and they tell me--they being "the internet," of course, and one live person who works at my favorite game store, which provides all of my gaming needs and wants and even threw in a free comic book for me--that i will love this one. so much, they say. i won't even believe it. they won't see me for months, even! now we'll just see about that, now won't we? it makes me a little afraid to open the box.

but only a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home