Wednesday, June 08, 2005

catch the reference to literary criticsm and win a trip to the kitchen!

today i got an email from one of the new professors i'm working for, and she signed it "marge." i think that's all i'm going to say about that. in other, somewhat related news, the lunch went just fine. i mostly kept my trap shut, except when i was politely eating a salad (nine dollars) or responding to a question. otherwise, i tried to fix a thoughtful and attentive gaze on whoever was talking. it was interesting, though, i'll give you that. sort of. maybe a little too much loan-talk, but i'm in this racket so there's no getting out.

that's not true, really, is it? there's always time to change the road you're on, or so robert and jimmy tell me.

yesterday i got asked on a lunch date, which is always nice to hear but seldom comes from anyone i'm enthusiastic about accepting said invitation from. before you shrug that one off, i'd like to mention the gentleman only satisfied the latter half of that word and made it absolutely crystal clear that he had not one, but two whole bachelor's degrees, and furthermore, showed contempt, in various ways, for women. here i would like to repeat a phrase i've heard recently: pasty-faced toad. a clearer picture, there has never been.

so, we're pretty much getting married. the happy couple is registered at angelofthehearth.com, if you're interested in buying me a brillo pad i can scrub the floors with.

no no, i kid! i kid! really, i'm a big fan of weddings and attending them. i will attend my own someday, and i can assure you, yes you, that you probably will too. trust me, it will be a good time. and in case you didn't know or forgot, jamie russell and justin hale are getting married on july third. but! i will not be there, which sucks. what can you do? go to the wedding shower, of course!

wedding showers, on the other hand, i'm not so keen on most of the time, as there's always that one woman in the shadows by the bride making some sort of.....ribbon bouquet? what the hell do you call that? and somebody always asks "dorothy, what are you doing?" and what dorothy is doing, dude, is constructing the fake-bouquet out of the ribbons from the wedding shower gifts in order for the blushing (but not really!) bride to carry it down the aisle at the dress rehearsal. think of it, my dear dottie, as a prop. i guess i understand the point of a rehearsal, but i don't know how i feel about props. i mean, if we're going through the trouble to make one, shouldn't we make more? like cardboard cutouts of the guests, the minister, the organ player? at my rehearsal, i plan on just having my future husband and i move around the dummy guests and give them funny voices. but i suppose it's only because i'm not feeling the bridal fever yet. who am i kidding? i'll be all over the wedding rehearsal. my husband-to-be will crack a joke and i'll throw a tantrum at the rehearsal dinner, because "no one is taking this seriously! this is my wedding, michael! my wedding! and you are ruining it, do you hear me?!"

the dinner will be concluded with me locking myself in the bathroom. again.

so there's that to look forward to. but now i'm hungry and have to put in doubletime at work. now that i'm working for the new profs, marge and dana (who's a dude. i know. it's hard), i'm working an extra ten hours a week. i know! working like a real person! who thought it possible?

4 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This entry made me laugh my pants off. I am still not done with my take home exam. And I wonder where you could have ever heard a phrase so uncouth as "pasty faced toad"? That person is a bad influence.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wedding showers. eek. agreed, and agreed.
and you forgot the "dressing" the bride in toilet paper game.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Class of 2000 officers said...

at my wedding shower we wrapped my grandma in toilet paper. i'm not sure why we did it but it was actually pretty hilarious.

my grandmother's name is Mary Jo and she says "Jesus Christ!" in response to everything.

another funny thing that happens at showers is when one of the bridesmaids and/or relatives harbors resentment toward whomever gets to make the paper plate ribbon prop thing.

funny entry!

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, what did I tell you? We have guests right now and I really don't have the patience to jimmy the lock open and pull you out of the goddamned bathroom. Stop acting like such a frickin' child and get the hell out of the bathroom. Jesus, Carol...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home